Enniskerry library was built in 1911, funded by the Carnegie Trust. It is a single-storey Edwardian style building with an underlying Arts & Crafts influence. The entrance is set within a large projection, with Queen Anne style stone surround and retaining the original pannelled wooden door. Above the entrance there is a panel with name and date and the Powerscourt crest. There is a low boundary wall at the front with wrought iron railings and a pedestrian gate. The building was renovated in 1986 and refurbished in 2006. The shelving is adjustable.
|Local Authority Name
||Wicklow County Council
||1 January 1911
Locality & Services
|Type of Service
|Type of Building
||Renovated purpose-built library
|Type of Building Converted
|Description of Locality
|Stand Alone Facility
Size & Costs
|Number of Floors
||Local Authority, DEHLG
Features & Facilities
||Local studies collection|
Relaxation and reading area
- Irish Carnegie Libraries / Brendan Grimes p143-145.
- Ireland and the New Architecture / Sean Rothery p102-103
- National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, DEHLG
- Census 2006 Table 12 Alphabetical list of Towns with their population, 2002 and 2006 (Population within legally defined boundary)
Architect & Design Team
||R.M. Butler (1911)|
||Wicklow County Council; Wicklow County Librarian (2006)
The site was donated by Viscount Powerscourt.
Enniskerry Library was refurbished in 2006 to make the building more accessible, with part funding provided by the DOEHLG through the Barcelona Declaration Committee.
For further information please contact Wicklow County Council Library Authority